Sunday, September 4, 2011

The President Should Call Me

DonaldFladjr Donald Flad Jr

I wonder if I can go all day without watching or reading current event/news/politics? I am worn the "F" out & disgusted

I tweeted this Thursday during a break at work.

When 5:00 rolled around I asked my guy to turn off Chris Matthews, we didn’t watch the local news and instead of watching Brian Williams we watched Curb Appeal. Thursday was so successful that I continued the little challenge into Friday and when that went well I tried into Saturday. I did watch a little CNN Saturday before work but there was so little actual news I don’t believe I cheated.

The only news I received was from my Twitter feed. If I depended on that for news I would think that Barack Obama would be King of the World and all the Republican candidates are off the wall crack pots. Well, half of that is true; Obama is not King of the World.

What caused my frustration and disgust? What made me turn my back on Chris, Brian, Anderson and Mika? Who made me avoid reading Arianna, Joan, Maureen, Frank and Tina?

Barack H. Obama.

Yes the man I have spent the last 3+ years defending, supporting, explaining, encouraging patience for and believing that he will make a difference.

I explained that he was following the rules set out by the constitution in his approach to overturning DADT & DOMA.

I defended the no drama Obama, not an angry black man approach to his opponents.

I supported his ramping up operations in Afghanistan and thought his approach to Libya was smart.

I justified his compromises on health care reform.

I knew he could not be the first President to allow the nation to default.

I accused his opponents of being racists and called out their hypocrisy when they criticized him for doing the same things his predecessor(s) have done.

And, I will continue to come to his defense but I am tired and this week after all the months of seemingly rudderless leadership, listless public appearances and cold and emotional appeals to national unity he had a chance to slam dunk the Republicans.

Eric Cantor, an earthquake and a hurricane gave the President and his party a chance to really win the week and begin to bring the debate back around to our terms. Democrats are the party that believes government can make a difference and improve people’s lives. FEMA was continuing to get high marks; Secretary Napolitano was all over the media and handling the various crises with professionalism and care. The King Memorial was opening and the media was discussing how far we have come, we were getting ready for the 10th anniversary of 9-11 which was surely to bring the nation together for a brief moment and Rick Perry, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachman under the guidance of Rush Limbaugh were stepping all over each other to be more extreme and people were beginning to the think that one of these loons may become President and getting a little concerned.

And, what did the smartest person in the room do? He started a pissing match by asking to have yet another speech to the nation scheduled at the same time as a Republican debate. He looked small, he looked petty and he looked like just any other grandstanding politician. On top of all that he lost the pissing match and once again had to back down.

Why? What was the point of this? What was the purpose? What were they thinking? Where is the person in the room who says “Snap out of it!”? I thought Bill Daley was supposed to solve all these problems and bring order, discipline and maturity to the inner workings of the White House. Apparently I was misinformed.

I am available Mr. President please call me, I am willing to trade in one dead end job for another.

I am tired and I am disgusted and I am not sure how much more enthusiastic support I can muster up.

But, I will continue to try but please Mr. President you have to meet me half way.

1 comment: