Sunday, December 16, 2012
CHARLOTTE BACON, 6
DANIEL BARDEN, 7
RACHEL DAVINO, 29
OLIVIA ENGEL, 6
JOSEPHINE GAY, 7
ANA G. MARQUEZ-GREENE, 6
DYLAN HOCKLEY, 6
DAWN HOCHSPRUNG, 47
MADELEINE F. HSU, 6
CATHERINE V. HUBBARD, 6
CHASE KOWALSKI, 7
JESSE LEWIS, 6
JAMES MATTIOLI, 6
GRACE MCDONNELL, 7
ANNE MARIE MURPHY, 52
EMILIE PARKER, 6
JACK PINTO, 6
NOAH POZNER, 6
CAROLINE PREVIDI, 6
JESSICA REKOS, 6
AVIELLE RICHMAN, 6
LAUREN ROUSSEAU, 30
MARY SHERLACH, 56
VICTORIA SOTO, 27
BENJAMIN WHEELER, 6
ALLISON N. WYATT, 6
Monday, November 5, 2012
You may ask why?
- She is a Republican
- I don't agree with much of her voting record
Rep. Hahn has a voting record that is fairly conservative but she is not by any stretch a tea bagger, she is what is now called a moderate Republican.
I attended a luncheon sponsored by the Slate Belt Chamber of Commerce and Rep. Hahn was to speak on Education. After the talk she came up to me and said "OK Flad let me have it". I had no reason to let her "have it". Her positions were well thought out and from my Liberal point of view very moderate and she was open to compromise and to fully discuss and understand the issues before making up here mind on any education reform legislation. I thought it was interesting that she sought me out to get my opinion; it says a lot about the quality of her character.
At recent community festival my company's booth was placed next to a booth manned by a shrieking Tea Party loon. The Obama bumper sticker on my car was hard to miss since the car was parked next to my booth. Rep. Hahn came up to tease me and asked if I was OK and to let me know that if they bothered me she would be there to protect me. It was a pretty funny moment. I think she really was concerned about me and this was her way of letting the wing nut know that I was her friend.
Rep. Marcia Hahn never fails to seek me out at an event, to ask my opinion on a topic, asks about work, my family, tell me some jokes and to engage in some friendly political banter.
Representative Hahn puts politics and partisanship aside when it comes to the bread and butter economic issues that impact the greater Lehigh Valley. She has a very good relationship with Rep. Bob Freeman who is her polar opposite when it comes to politics but works with him and the rest of the local delegation for what is best for the area.
I would vote for Marcia Hahn because she is smart, thoughtful, organized, cares a great deal about her community and is very visible around the district. She works very hard and has surrounded herself with a very capable and qualified staff.
I am proud to call Marcia Hahn my friend and I encourage those of you who can vote for her to do so.
Sunday, November 4, 2012
Saturday, November 3, 2012
In 1948 the Penn State football team was invited to play in the New Years day Cotton Bowl held in
Dallas Texas, their opponent was Southern Methodist University (SMU). In 1948 Penn State had very few black students and only two black players on the football team. For the first time in school history a young black student was a starter.
In 1948 segregation was still very much in place in Texas and SMU was a segregated university. SMU officials sought out a meeting with the Penn State to request the university leave it's two black student athlete's home or at least off the field.
When told of this proposed meeting Penn State team captain Steve Suhey proclaimed at a team meeting "We are Penn State....There will be no meetings".
Wally Trippet; one of the black players did play in the 1948 Cotton bowl and he scored the touchdown that allowed Penn State to tie the game for a final score of 13 - 13. Penn State ended the 1948 season undefeated.
WE ARE....PENN STATE
Wednesday, October 24, 2012
He said that marriage has "been one man and one woman for 3,000 years".
Which is historically inaccurate.
His great grandfather fled this country to Mexico so he could maintain his (then) Mormon "lifestyle" of more than one wife."
I don't think that happened more than 3,000 years ago.
I could be wrong.
Tuesday, October 23, 2012
Sunday, October 21, 2012
I have much to say but for now I will just say Thank You George McGovern, Thank You.
Saturday, October 20, 2012
Friday, October 19, 2012
Thursday, October 18, 2012
Friday, October 12, 2012
This is an ad placed by the Broward Log Cabin Republicans. The gay ones.
There is so much wrong with this piece of crap I'm not sure I can capture my outrage in print. When you see my guy ask him.
- They show a picture of the corpse of the recently killed Ambassador - Disgusting on so many levels
- They have outed the Ambassador Stevens - Something they oppose
- They accused the President of deliberately allowing the Ambassador to be killed - Really?
- They accuse the President of not protecting the United States from Shariah Law - This nation is under threat from Shariah law? Really? No Really?
- They are "unified in their support of Equality of Rights in the State of Israel" - What does that have to do with any of the above? I guess they think they are appealing to the Jewish retirees from NY. I don't get the last line at all...at all.
Thursday, October 11, 2012
I never voted for former Governor Bob Casey, I never voted Bob Casey Jr until he ran against Little Ricky Santorum. But, I had to compromise my values in order to drive a man as detestable as Rich Santorum out of office.
"I can't wait to see how crushed these Obama true believers react when he is forced to compromise once he is elected." "Will they stick with him or with the slump off in disappointment?" I said this 4 years ago (much to the horror of my guy) to someone who I came to find out was an Obama True Believer.
Odd, how I (Barack Obama was my 5th choice during the 2008 primary) have become a more steadfast supporter of this President than many of those who came to me with quivering voices and tears in their eyes asking me to support him during the 2008 primaries. Many of these folks were incredulous that I was supporting Hillary because my guy is black they just assumed that I (we) would just naturally just support the black guy running for President. We didn't in the spring but we certainly did come the fall.
It has been painful for me to watch many of these True Believers sit on their hands during the last 3 years as this President fought against an economic tsunami, racist foes and the Republican's willingness to let this country fail rather than allow any Obama initiative that would move this country forward pass. I hear many of the True Believer's say "Well, he just didn't do what he said" or "Well, he promised hope and change and he just didn't deliver."
Perhaps I have been in and around politics for so long that I have become cynical and jaded and perhaps my expectations of what any President can really accomplish is so low, that I have not been all that disappointed in Barack Obama.
This President in the face of birthers, tea baggers, subtle and not so subtle racism and Republican unity in wanting him to fail at any cost; saved wall street, saved the American auto industry, ended the Iraq war, is drawing down the Afghanistan war, reversed the economic downward spiral, gave us meaningful health care reform, facilitated the end of the Gaddafi reign of terrorism, encouraged the Arab Spring and authorized the killing of Osama Bin Laden and many of his top aides around the world.
Was I always happy with the way Barack Obama has managed his Presidency? No, read back to some of last summer posts. But, I am a realist and being one I realize that he is the best President we can expect for these times and given what he has been up against he has done a pretty damn good job.
Barack Obama has earned a second term and to the folks who were with him 4 years ago and are wavering now I say BUCK UP, PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL/BOY PANTS and ask yourself; do you really want Mitt Romney to be President and the Republican's to control both houses of Congress ?
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
I listened that line non-stop for about 5 hours on Saturday and it was painful.
I participated in the Bath Community Day festival this past Saturday. Bath, Pa is a quaint little borough in the heart of Northampton County and like many of these small communities it has seen better times but the residence of Bath are fighting back and working hard to improve the quality of life and culture of their little town.
Bath Community Day is one such effort. It is an opportunity for vendors, merchants and organizations to gather on a Saturday afternoon and showcase their services. The event took place at the Green Street park. The park is just recovering from devastating flooding last year and the highlight of the day was the dedication of the new performing arts stage and pavilion.
One of the community groups participating in the festival was the Lehigh Valley Tea Party. All day long the shrill woman staffing their booth shouted and berated people passing by. She would wave a copy of the Tea Party edition of the U.S. Constitution shouting at everyone who passed by; "Get your free copy of the constitution, there is no obligation." As people walked by and politely turned down her offer she would then scream "It explains where your freedoms come from."
I thought the tea party believed that our freedoms come from G-D not government. I am confused by her assertion that our freedoms come from a document that sets up the government. But, then the tea party is not known for their consistency.
As people continued to turn down her offer and they walked further away from her she would then get even louder and say "What's the matter don't you love your country enough to learn about your freedoms and how they are protected?" Very few people took the time to speak with her but, then why would anyone want to speak to someone who was questioning their love of country.
By her insults this crazed tea bagger assumed that people did not already know and understand their constitutional freedoms, she assumed that only the tea party had all the answers and exclusive knowledge of the constitution and she assumed that she could insult people into compliance. She was wrong on all accounts.
I would have loved the opportunity to confront this woman but I was not there representing myself I was there representing my employer so just stayed at my booth and promoted my wares. A number of my Republican friends came up to me to make sure I was OK and not suffering too much by listening to this diatribe all afternoon. I assured my friends that I was fine and was really enjoying watching people shake their heads in either disgust or dark humor at this fanatic as they quickly walked out of ear shot.
She did not do her cause any favors on Saturday so in some perverse way I was glad she was there and I left with a sense of satisfaction that her presence had the opposite effect of her intent.
Note - I will continue to use the term Tea Bagger as long as they continue to deny the President is a natural born citizen, call him a Nazi and make racist comments about his wife.
Friday, October 5, 2012
- The fact checkers were out in full force yesterday and to a person they debunked much of what Romney said
- Even conservatives noted that Romney positions Wednesday differed greatly from his positions he has taken over the last 18 months
- Romney was called rude, a bully and overbearing by many in the chattering class
- There was almost as much post debate discussion about the moderator as there was the debate itself
- Romney was roundly mocked for wanting to fire Big Bird as an example of how he will solve our nation's massive debt problems. For the record PBS receives no direct funding from the federal government. The money goes directly to the local stations and the amount of the budget that will be saved by cutting this subsidy is 0.012%. Not much of an impact is it? Of all the things Romney could think of to cut spending the best he could do was PBS?
- The President was greeted by 30,000 people at his rally in Madison yesterday
- There are two more debates to come and this President is famous for his 4th quarter come back skills
Tuesday, October 2, 2012
Sunday, September 30, 2012
- · $1.4 billion to fund the improvement in services to veterans at the VA
- · $4.6 billion to pay for more mental health professionals within the VA
- · Supported and signed the Veterans Health Care Budget Reform and Transparency Act, which made more money available for veterans medical care
- · Ensured there was enough funding to provide active troops with better boy armor – Remember during the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld started wars when family members had to spend their own money to ensure their loved ones had proper body armor.
Not very democratic if you ask me.
Tuesday, September 25, 2012
- When President Obama took office this nation was in its worst recession in 75 years, during his first year in office economists declared the recession over.
- When he took office there were 13 straight months of private sector job loss, the private sector has been adding more jobs than it has been shedding every month since February 2010. That is over 4.5 million new private sector jobs.
- The unemployment rate has continued to drop (except for the first few months) every month since the President took office. The reason the jobs numbers are not showing this growth as clearly because Federal, State and Local governments have been laying off people as a result of economic constraints and Republican austerity programs.
- The Dow Jones Index was running around 8,000 when the Republican’s left the White House; the stock index is now hovering around 13,000.
- Under Republican spending we had a $1.4 trillion deficit and despite GOP claims to the contrary the federal deficit is now $1.3 trillion.
- In February of 2012 GM posted record profits only 2 years after the President wisely supported their bail out. Chrysler soon followed and Ford is stronger today than it was in 2009.
- New spending programs under President Obama totals up to $1.44 trillion. Under the last Republican administration new program spending totaled $5.07 trillion. Who are the big spenders? Congressman Ryan supported each one of these new GOP programs and referred to them as economic stimulus. So even if this President doubles the new government spending in his next term it will still be less the Republicans spending.
Friday, September 21, 2012
- Through his leadership DADT was repealed and he proudly signed the law. He did not sign it off the radar he held a grand and elaborate ceremony. He said he would and he kept his promise. He did it the right way through an act of Congress. Thank you sir.
- He has voiced support for Marriage Equality. It has taken him awhile but he has voiced his support. It's called evolving, it's called growth. At the same time he has ordered the Justice Department to stop defending DOMA in the courts. His reason...discrimination is wrong. We are all American's and we all are entitled to equal rights and protection under the law
- He supported hospital visitation rights for LGBT patients. It is now the law.
- He has spoken out forcefully against bullying
- He created a "It gets Better" video and shared it on Youtube
- He supports work place protections for all citizens
- He is married to the very awesome Michelle! (More on this later)
Monday, September 3, 2012
Paul Ryan - lies about the fact that his Medicare plan actually does take money away from the program and is a voucher plan.
Paul Ryan - lies about the negative impact his budget plans have on the poor and the middle class
Paul Ryan - lies about the benefits his budget plans have for the 1%
Paul Ryan - lies about his general economic plans - Trickle down has never worked and will never work
Paul Ryan - lies when he blames President Obama for the closing of the auto plant in his home town. The plant closed a month before this President took the oath of office
Paul Ryan - lies when he blames The President for the lowering of the nation's S&P rating. When shown a statement by S&P blaming the Republicans in Congress for the lower rating, he still denies the facts.
Paul Ryan - lies about the financial and social status of his family in his home town and pretends he pulled himself up by his boot straps. His family was very financially comfortable and very prominent in the town. It is a shame that his father died when he was a young man but as a result his college education was paid for via a benefit provided by Social Security. A plan he would now like to end.
These are all pretty significant lies.
Paul Ryan - lies when he said he ran a marathon in 2 hours and 55 minutes when in fact it took him over 4 hours.
If Paul Ryan is willing to lie about something as silly as a marathon time imagine the lies he will tell us as Vice President
Thursday, August 9, 2012
Wednesday, August 8, 2012
Wednesday, August 1, 2012
Saturday, March 31, 2012
What would happen if Musikfest announced a line up like this?
On the Sands Main Stage
Friday – Madonna kicks off her world tour – opening act is Nikki Minaj
Saturday – Tim McGraw & Faith Hill
Sunday – Mumford and Sons
Monday – Aretha Franklin, Gladys Knight & Patty Labelle
Tuesday – Pink and Kelly Clarkson
Wednesday – Rhianna & Drake
Thursday – Prince with The Roots
Friday – Rolling Stones with Bele Fleck opening
Saturday – Springsteen
Sunday – U2
Vesper Concert Series
Friday – Audra McDonald
Saturday – Josh Groban
Sunday – Yo Yo Ma
Monday – Casey Stratton
Tuesday – Joshua Bell
Wednesday – Kate Bush
Thursday – Jessye Norman & Kathleen Battle
Friday – Sutton & Hunter Foster
Saturday – Bette Midler
Sunday – Renee Fleming
Musikfest could announce a line up like this and people would still complain.