Tuesday, April 26, 2011

It's My Life

So…. I took another break. I have even stopped reading the NY Times and don’t feel compelled to devour Maureen Dowd (hopefully this will pass soon); the only reason I keep up with Joan Walsh is her Twitter feed makes it so easy.

I’m tired of defending the President, I am tired of criticizing the conservative extremists, Sarah Palin bores me, the wacko talkers need to be ignored, Donald Trump is a fool, Charlie Dent will never be a leader and I am just sick of all them. Do I still care? Yes. Will I stay engaged in the world around me? Yes. Will I continue to speak out when the truth needs to be told? Yes.

I take my hat off to Jon of Lehigh Valley Independent – he is thoughtful, cutting edge and writes about the big and little issues that we should all be thinking about. I salute Bernie O’Hare of Lehigh Valley Ramblings – his coverage of local issues and the local movers and shakers is often better than the mainstream media. Yes, Bernie is a wack job and I question his choice of politicians to support but he has his pulse on what is going on in the Lehigh Valley. George of Lehigh Valley With Love writes about the silly underside of the area. He tells the stories that are often missed and it never ceases to amaze me how many loons really live here in the conservative Lehigh Valley. George is also one of the best writers I have ever read and I am often left in tears from laughing by the time I am done reading George’s insightful reporting. These guys write everyday and everyday they are interesting, I don’t know how they do it, and all I know is that I can’t.

There are so many folks worth reading both locally and nationally – Please check them out on my side bar.

So what is going to happen with my little piece of the interwebs? I still want to write, I still like to write but what am I going to write about? Me. I can think of nothing more interesting for my readers than me.

Palimpsest – according to Merriam-Webster’s

1 technical: a very old document on which the original writing has been erased and replaced with new writing
2 formal: something that has changed over time and shows evidence of that change

When he finally sat down to write his memories Gore Vidal called them his Palimpsest because what he was writing was what he remembered. Others may have a different remembrance of the same event but the only memories that matter were the author’s.

I going to tell my story; it will be what I remember the way I remember it. I will exaggerate some of the details and I will downplay others. I will condense multiple people into one in order to move the story along and some of it may be wholly made up just to keep things interesting, even when the fiction dominates the facts there will be some truths in the fiction or maybe it is something that I wanted to happen or dreamed about or wished for. I will try to note when mystical thinking takes over for the facts. I will try very hard not to hurt anyone’s feelings, especially my families. I will not be writing in chronological order but I will write the stories as I remember them. Current events often inspire a memory so I am just going to go with the flow.

2 comments: