Tuesday, April 2, 2013

I Define Political Correctness


From Twitter today 

Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred ~ Jacques Barzun
I responded by asking how Prof. Barzun defined Political Correctness?
Political correctness is such a buzzword often used with disdain to diminish the views of those on the political left.
"Ugh! you are so PC"
"Oh please, it's just a joke my gay/black/Jewish/Italian/Polish/women friends all thought it was funny. You have no sense of humor" " You are so PC"
This is how I define Political Correctness
  • Trying to do what is right
  • At some point in life you are going to offend someone but it was not on purpose - so apologize and move on
  • Trying not hurt peoples feelings
  • Caring about other peoples needs
  • Being sensitive to the journey people have taken in life
  • The ability to laugh with people and not laugh at them
  • Embracing the differences we all have
  • Accepting people for who they are
  • Knowing that no one needs your approval to lead his or her life
  • "Who am I to judge?"
  • Perhaps you should know your audience before you decide to tell a joke that may hurt someone
  • Being sensitive to who is around you and where they came from and what may or may not have happened in her of his life
  • Your opinion matters as much to me as much as my opinion matters to you or not at all...But that's OK
  • Believing in Equality and Justice

Call me PC - I'll wear it as a badge of honor
This is who Jacques Barzun is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Barzun

No comments:

Post a Comment