I have made no secret of my support for my Mayor in his quest to become our next Congressman. This begins a series of postings explaining why.
John Callahan cares about me.
· John Callahan will co-sponsor the reintroduction of ENDA (Employment Non Discrimination Act) and he has vowed to actively support it.
· John Callahan will co-sponsor the legislation that died this week in the Senate to overturn Don’t Ask Don’t Tell.
· John Callahan has pledged to ensure the Matthew Sheppard Hate Crimes Legislation is enforced and will support its reauthorization.
· John Callahan will support legislation that grants same sex couples the same legal rights that heterosexual couples receive.
· John Callahan will work for equal treatment for the LGBT community with immigration issues.
Are these just promises? I think not.
This is what John Callahan has accomplished as Mayor of Bethlehem.
· Bethlehem under the leadership of John Callahan offers health care benefits to all city employees and their families. Not just the straight ones.
· Bethlehem allows the same-sex partners of city employees’ to be eligible as pension beneficiaries.
· John Callahan has introduced and anti-discrimination ordinance that will establish a Human Relations Commission which will protect my LGBT community. The Pennsylvania law will not protect me but my Mayor has decided that his city will.
Let’s take a moment to look at Charlie Dent’s record while not representing me in Washington.
· Charlie Dent voted against the Matthew Sheppard legislation
· Charlie Dent voted against ENDA. Because of Charlie Dent I can get fired because of who I love.
· Charlie Dent voted to amend the Constitution of the United States to define marriage. The constitution of this country grants rights Charlie Dent voted to amend the constitution to deny rights.
Let me say this very clearly:
CHARLIE DENT VOTED FOR DISCRIMANATION. CHARLIE DENT VOTED TO TREAT ME AS A SECOND CLASS CITIZEN. CHARLIE DENT SUPPORTS TWO TYPES OF CITIZENSHIP ONE FOR HIM AND ONE FOR ME.
This election is about me and I am supporting John Callahan for Congress and I ask you to do the same.