Saturday, June 6, 2009

Senator you are no Catherine Baker Knoll

I knew Catherine Baker Knoll (CBK), I served with CBK, CBK was a friend of mine and Senator Specter you are no Catherine Baker Knoll. OK so I may be exaggerating a bit.
  • I did know CBK in a smiling nodding kind of way
  • I served on Dem State Committee with her in the 90's
  • I always felt proud to vote for her - so in that sense she was a friend

This weekend is the Dem State Comm. June meeting usually held in Pittsburgh. Usually a sleepy kind of low key event. This year the highlight is a dinner honoring the memory of the late great Catherine Baker Knoll.

She was a progressive, she was an honest person, she led by example, she was a force of nature, she was a leader, she was one of the best vote getter's in PA history, she had legions of loyal supporters (I often was one) and even if you did not support her she always deserved your respect.

CBK was not grandiose or flamboyant but she always owned the room. You always knew where she stood and no one has ever questioned her integrity or her motives. Her commitment to her family, her community, her commonwealth, and her nation was never doubted. She was a role model to young women across the nation.

Tonight's dinner honoring this great Democrat will be Arlen Specter's introduction to his new party. When all is said and done I don't think that many of the qualities I ascribed too CBK will be given to Sen. AllAboutMe. Arlen has always been and will always be about Arlen. He was OK for a Repub. but he is a poor Democrat.

Next year we could have been rid of him once and for all and a real Democrat would have been elected. I have not heard any compelling reason why the Pres, VP, Gov and Chair wanted this self involved man in the party.

I am prepared to come out of campaign retirement next year for two reasons.

  1. Support Admiral Sestak for the US Senate
  2. Support Bob Freeman for the State Senate (should he decide to go for it)

If I am stuck with a choice between Specter & Toomey I will write in my stand by write in candidate Jeff Parks. When ever I hate my choices I always write in Jeff.

Senator Specter has not earned my support in the Democratic primary and he will not get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment