Sunday, June 7, 2009

Tony Tony Tony

I love the Tony awards as much as I love the Oscars, it not more. I do not see the shows and I do not see the movies, but yet I get so swept up by both shows.

I think I understand the Oscar love - it is driven by the media and I am a sucker for the red carpet.

I think I really like the Tony's because live theater is such an interactive event. Here are people doing what they love / what G-d has called them to do 8 times a week, without a net. It is not for the money, people in commercials make more money. Why? because they just want to perform. And, they get to live in New York.

I was in a few shows in high school, in the chorus and an extra, I turned down a speaking part because I did not want to stutter in front of the whole town, as a teenager with other issues I did not want to deal with this. I had a great time, from learning the steps to putting on the make up. But the best thrill was the applause.

I felt the same way when I would give speeches on behalf of the candidates I supported. During the 1980 presidential race I was such a strident Carterite the Kennedy folks were afraid to introduce me to the family surrogates, that did not stop me from having a beer or two with some of Bobby's and Ethel's sons. They understood it was just politics and not personal.. After giving speeches and a few sermons since I was 13 or younger everyone was aware of the stutter and no one reacted (at least to my face).

What this has to do with my love of the Tony's. Not much.

Except maybe if one more person understands that we need to support the arts it was a success. And, it is the gayest night on TV and maybe some young guy living in Freemansburg will think Hmmm!! maybe I too can..........

No comments:

Post a Comment