Saturday, July 18, 2009

A struggle for words

I know I should have written my thank you notes by now but I am struggling with the words. I am not known for word struggles, in fact most people find me never lacking in words. I am verbose. to say the least and I think I have a command of the language. I usually know just what to say. Yet somehow I cannot find the right words to put on paper to thank all the people who were so kind, so supportive and so wonderful during our time of sadness. Many continue still to express support and concern.

Someone different every day asks after my brother, says how much they loved meeting my parents, thought my nieces were just wonderful, think my sister and brother-in-law are terrific and everyone fell head over heals for Guy. So, thanking these kind and wonderful people should be easy, but the words are just not coming. Everyone has said how much they loved the service and few have asked me to lead theirs. I wonder if there is stimulus money for that type of start up business?

I sat down during my lunch today and wrote out about six cards. I threw them all out, wasting perfectly good personalized note cards. Part of it is that my handwriting is so bad that I struggled to read them and part if it was the words were not just good enough. Everyone knows how grateful the family is for their love, affection and support and how moved and overwhelmed we were by the turn out for the service. The people I should be thanking the most tell me not to worry about it, they understand.

But I don't know how else to thank them other than putting it in writing.

Now that I have written all of this I think the real stumbling block is my handwriting, it has only gotten worse since the Third grade. I don't want to spend all the time writing the cards out and then have no one be able to read them or worse yet have them come to me and ask me to translate, which means I would have to speak the words to each person one at a time. That, me thinks, would be too emotionally draining on a catastrophic scale.

So, I know it is tacky but I may just type them out and send each person a note they can at least read. By typing them it will be easier for me to be a better editor and not waste as many note cards.

Now I only have to obsess over the paper and letter head.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to the problem....well maybe not so much the handwritting issue...but just getting the right words on paper. J- :o)

    ReplyDelete