Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Dent vs Callahan Pt 1

Next years 15th congressional district race promises to be one of the most exciting and most watched in the country. This race will be on the tongues of political junkies from coast to coast.

The very popular Charlie Dent is being challenged by the exciting Bethlehem Mayor John Callahan.

A lot of people in both parties really like Charlie Dent and I admit he does a good job at the meet and greet and by all accounts his constituent services is second to none. He is a nice guy, from a good and well connected family. His aunt was the legendary GOP leader Mary Crisp Dent, a national party leader before and during the Reagan years. She was pushed to the side by the reactionary forces that took control of the party in Reagan's name, even though he was nothing like them, but her connections certainly did not hurt Charlie.

Some powerful Democratic friends of mine are torn by their fondness for Mr. Dent and the excitement Mayor Callahan creates wherever he goes.

I am not conflicted, my problem with Charlie Dent is not how he acts as a congressman it is how he votes as a congressman. I don't know John Callahan's position on all the things I care about but I am willing to guess that they will be closer to my vision of America than Charlie Dent's.

I am very excited about the opportunity to support the campaigns of both John Callahan and Joe Sestak. Next year ought to be quite a year.

2 comments:

  1. "I am very excited about the opportunity to support the campaigns of both John Callahan "

    How could you already be supporting this guy when, as you poinjt out yourself, you don't know his positions? Incidentally, he does not either. Asked about health care reform last week, he was still thinking about it.

    In truth Callahan is a former R who changed parties to get elected in Bethlehem. His positions on the issues are not much different than those of Charlie Dent.

    I agree Callahan does a great job as mayor. Let's keep him there! I'd support him over Charlie for mayor in a heartbeat and will support Charlie over Callahan for Congress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am support Callahan because I like him & I think he is in the left of center of most issues yet in the mainstream. I used to like Charlie but my most recent encounters with him have turned me off. He became a congressman - pompous, stiff, full of self and he voted for torture and to amend the constitution to difine marriage

    ReplyDelete