Saturday, August 29, 2009

Edward Moore Kennedy 1932-2009 - reaction 3

We watched the entire EMK memorial service last night. In fact I live tweeted it. It was wonderful and I am glad the family shared it with the nation. Speaker after speaker touched my heart and I was quite emotional throughout. The evening was heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. Every time Vicki got up to give the speaker a warm embrace my vision blurred a little because a tear developed. She has become a Kennedy woman with her strength and grace.

A little while ago I wrote about my disappointment in Sen. Hatch, he is someone I would never vote for but he is someone I was able to admire because I believed he always did what he thought was right. Lately some of his votes seemed to have been panders to the extremists that control his party, so I was disappointed. The thought has occurred to me after watching his really moving remarks last night that he may be adrift without his friend, the loss he expressed last night was the real deal. I will try to be less harsh in the future.

VP Biden's stories of how Teddy comforted him at times of great sorrow were so moving. I liked how the VP included the family in all aspects of his remarks, "your husband did", "your father will be", "your brother said", I thought that was really quite effective.

Gov. Patrick's story about the dinner was priceless and having the great Brian Stokes Mitchell sing Impossible Dream left no eye dry on our couch. When the voters of Iowa let the great John Culver slip through their hands I was stunned but now it just baffles me. He was brilliant. John McCain was as usual a class act and a true gentleman Senator

Joe and Caroline lived up to this great families reputation and revealed themselves to be ready to take up some of the slack left by the loss of one of our leaders.

It was a night of great joy, full of hope and love. I was glad to be able to be part of it even if it was just from my couch here on the third floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment