Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bethlehem Will Be Protected

Guy has been away all week, visiting his mom. And, as usual I led the swinging bachelor life, I came home from work and watched MSNBC & MTV Hits. I become a hermit when he is away. It's weird because when he is home I am more interested in being a tad more social, but left to my own devices I pick up one little tray of sushi from Wegman's, have a short conversation with Dr. Bombay and surf and now tweet.

On Saturday, I had to get out of the house and have a conversation with someone other than myself or about work. I walked down the to the Apollo about 4 blocks away and as I am coming up to the parking garage I notice two older gents sitting on the park bench sharing a 45 in a brown paper bag. That is something one does not see in downtown Bethlehem, but they were just sitting there talking so what the hell. As I am walking past them I nod and the one not holding the beer says "hello handsome young man" (I'm 9 days away from 50) so I waved and said hello. He then asked to bum some cigarettes and I said that I have never smoked and kept on walking. He complimented me on my healthy lifestyle, remember I was going to the Apollo in the middle of the afternoon have a few cocktails and a snack, so I am none to sure about the healthy habits, but I digress. I said yeah I try. He then tried to get up and could not, he asked if I could spare some money. I waved him off and walked on. A little annoyed

I do not often give money when these things occur and I did not this time. I almost called the police, and now 24 hours later I think I should have. We do not need drunken panhandlers in our business district (or anywhere else for that matter) annoying or scaring shoppers, tourists, diners or anyone else willing to support our local businesses. These people work too hard and have invested their lives in our town. So, why didn't I call the cops?

Guilt. I am a guilty white middle class liberal. And, I allowed the voice of William Sloane Coffin that often speaks to me in my left ear to get in the way of my civic pride.

A couple of years ago I was walking in downtown Easton with friend who owns a business on Northampton Street and something similar occurred. My friend did not hesitate to whip out his cell phone and call city hall, we watched the police come and have a conversation with the person. I have also seen my friend chase away johns. I am proud of him for his civic pride and wanting to protect his investment.

So, lesson learned. Beware cheap beer drinking, cigarette and money begging guys, my town is going to be protected. I am programming the police number in my cell phone as soon as I spell check this.

4 comments:

  1. the number for you and/or your readers for Bethlehem Police non-emergency is 610-865-7187. You can also use this number to report graffiti in the city and they will come and wash it with the pressure washer they bought a few years back.

    I've had this number programmed in my cell phone(s) for about 10 years now, and boy does it come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the # I will enter it once I wipe the tears out of my eyes from Tiger's loss

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is about diming these obviously amiable drunks that makes you a "liberal?" I'm not getting that. Where's your tolerance, dude? If they were hurting no one, who cares? Does everyone have to be well-to-do sushi munchers?

    By the way, you have a great blog going and I feel guilty that I missed it until now. I love that you let your opinions fly. I will link to you and give you a well deserved "shout out."

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bernie - I can see the confusionn on your end. My thought was that I should have called the police to stop them from bothering people by asking for money. They did not scare or even really bother me but I am opposed to the panhandleing (sp. The liberal part was that I did not rat them out out of some live and live attitude - But now my response has confused me.
    Thanks for the kind words. I look forward to your thoughts - I will see you on your blog.

    ReplyDelete